The Root: Why did you make Love Jones as such an atypical love story?
Theodore Witcher: I wanted to do something that was closer to my dating experience — there was a lot of game playing. Also, I was a part of a similar world in Chicago in the early ’90s and thought it was an interesting backdrop on which to paint this young romantic story.
The movie’s look came through a confluence of ideas by myself and my team, and the month we shot was the wettest Chicago had seen in years. Rain was written into the script, but then every other day was raining so, out of my control, the movie ended up looking like Seven.
TR: What was your experience as a first-time director?
TW: The first day, my line producer and I were riding to set and he said, “Are you ready to have 100,000 volts wired to your testicles?” Turns out directing is more like having 100,000 paper cuts slowly bleed you to death. You’re never prepared to be a first-time director, particularly on an aggressive schedule of 35 days. Maybe this changes as you go on — I only directed one movie — but you never feel like you get out in front of the train, and by the end, the train was running over me.
TR: Is that why you seemed to disappear after Love Jones?
TW: No. I intended to have a long list of credits, but I couldn’t get another movie. There has to be something that you want to do that a studio wants to pay for. I was never able to sync that up. I wanted to do ambitious films with more black people. You don’t get to do that."
The Root catches up with Loves Jones director Theodore Witcher on shooting the flick and why he never did another one.
So they wouldn’t let him make more movies because he refused to present Black people in a stereotypical manner.
Posted on: Mar 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM
- triix25 likes this
- ghetto-nerd reblogged this from writeous-soul
- robtrujilloart likes this
- anikamyerspalm reblogged this from newmodelminority
- nocturnalphantasmagoria reblogged this from racialicious
- amandic likes this
- 4dbutterfly reblogged this from daniellemertina
- formerly-fyna likes this
- courfeyrockets likes this
- orobolicious reblogged this from racialicious
- nobodyaskedme reblogged this from queennubian
- lesighh reblogged this from racialicious
- neverwillstop likes this
- brassparker reblogged this from writeous-soul
- writeous-soul reblogged this from newmodelminority
- tldr likes this
- derica likes this
- authentic-jcb reblogged this from queennubian
- authentic-jcb likes this
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from daniellemertina
- beymagnifique reblogged this from racialicious
- knitandstuff reblogged this from newmodelminority and added:
- queennubian reblogged this from newmodelminority and added:
- drejones reblogged this from newmodelminority
- cineflag reblogged this from crookedglasses
- cineflag likes this
- newmodelminority reblogged this from racialicious
- crookedglasses reblogged this from daniellemertina
- crookedglasses likes this
- thegreatpumpkin reblogged this from racialicious
- daniellemertina reblogged this from peaceloveandafropuffs
- daniellemertina likes this
- thegreatpumpkin likes this
- peaceloveandafropuffs reblogged this from racialicious
- racialicious posted this